National Military Appreciation Month: 7 Ways to Celebrate
Most of us know someone who has served or is currently serving in the armed forces, and we know the importance of paying tribute to them. As a nation, we should honor, remember, recognize, and appreciate our men and women in the service. May is National Military Appreciation Month (NMAM), so while you’re enjoying the warmer weather this month, don’t forget to honor these brave individuals. Here are 7 ways you can celebrate National Military Appreciation Month.
1. Visit War Memorials: In remembrance, cities and towns across the U.S. host Memorial Day parades each year. Americans also observe Memorial Day and honor service members by visiting cemeteries and memorials. With numerous memorials across the nation, you won’t have to go far to find one.
2. Visit our Nation’s Capital: Washington D.C. hosts several celebrations in May to honor the sacrifice of U.S. Armed Forces, including “Rolling Thunder,” a motorcycle rally, and the National Memorial Day Parade. And, of course, there are several memorial monuments to visit while you’re there.
3. Wear NMAM Clothing: Help raise awareness about National Military Awareness Month and send money to the Armed Forces Children’s Education Fund by proudly wearing NMAM gear. You get to help the cause and wear bright, patriotic colors in the process!
4. Send a Letter: Our service members appreciate genuine letters of gratitude. Make sending a letter or e-card something the whole family can enjoy. Sit down and think of fun and creative ideas to let them know how much we appreciate them. E-cards are new ways to design, personalize, and send greetings online.
5. Send a Care Package: Along with sending letters, it’s always nice to show your support by sponsoring a care package to the troops. Again, get the whole family involved by finding supplies in your house or having a search competition at your local grocery store. Team up and see who can find items fastest!
6. Donate: There are many ways you can help our service members. You can donate money, gifts, or your services at organizations like Armed Forces Children’s Education Fund and The Fisher House. You can also give blood to the soldiers by contacting the American Red Cross at 1-800-GIVE-BLOOD.
7. Display a Flag: Whether it’s the classic American flag, or an Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or Coast Guard flag, proudly show off your patriotism right in your front yard.
Whether you’re traveling, sight-seeing, or simply donating your time or sending your appreciation, this May should be spent with our troops on your mind. As a US-based company, Pelican takes pride in our roots and the hardworking individuals that make our products great. Let’s not forget those who have, and continue to, fight for our freedom.